Wednesday, April 16, 2008
1st Two Weeks Continued
Appointment at The SDA After a day to rest, I had my appointment with the SDA. I felt a little anxious knowing that I was about to pick out a file of a child/children who would possibly become my forever child/children. But my anxiety lessened as Galina and my translator, Lena were so supportive that I felt confident I would be fine whatever the outcome of the meeting. I was one of the first called in. The SDA psychologist gave a brief presentation of each file that had been preselected for me. She did so in a friendly, pleasant, and professional manner. She answered all my questions. The files were of individual little girls, ages 10, 8, 8, & also one of a very young looking, possibly disabled child. I had asked for a sibling set, ages 5 to 13, on my adoption petition. When the translator explained my concern, the SDA staff offered files on two sibling sets. One set was currently in a Ukrainian foster home. The other set lived in separate orphanages. The pictures of the two precious little sisters (ages 7 & 10) living in the orphanages caught my eye. They seemed to be the daughters I have been searching for. I wanted to meet them. I felt grateful that I found them on my first SDA meeting and hopeful thaat I wouldn't have to return for a second. It was snowy and blustery when we went back outside. However, I felt as if I were on a cloud walking on the streets of Kiev. Later, Galina and Lena met with me in a cafe. We reviewed what we knew of the children. We became concerned that we needed more information on the medical diagnosis of the younger girl. I felt sad and frightened when Lena suggested we return to the SDA to get more information. "The Bend In The Road Is Not The End Of The Road Unless You Refuse To Take The Turn" We had to wait a bit but the SDA psychologist met with us again. She even called the younger girl's orphanage director to get more information. It was comforting as she shared what the director had told her. The little girl had been there several years and had improved since her arrival. She is generally healthy with just a slight curvature of her spine. I was relieved and glad we had asked for further information. I was also impressed with the help given to us by the SDA. Train To Donetsk The next evening my translator, Lena, and I headed for Donetsk on a train. We were on a sleeping car with bunks. I couldn't sleep as it was a rather bumpy ride and and noisy too with many stops. I was very tired by the time we got to the older girl's orphanage in Vuglegirsk.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment