Map of Ukraine

Map of Ukraine

About Me

My photo
"The value of life lies not in the length of days, but in the use we make of them...." Montaigne

My sis Anna, Dad, & me

Saturday, April 5, 2008

Summary of The Past Two Weeks

Get Ready, Get Set, Go Jet!

Off and running on Saturday, March 22. I might have not made it to the airport on time if it wasn't for my friend, Patti. I had more cubic inches of stuff than I had cubic inches of packing space. We had to sit on the suitcases to compress the contents to fit. Patti, a little dynamo, wrestled on the ground with suitcase zippers, while I gathered up papers and computer. What a relief to get to the airport to board the plane on time!

Sir, You're Sitting In My Seat

The flight from Syracuse to Newark was uneventful. When I boarded the flight to Amsterdam, a gentleman was sitting in my window seat. As he graciously moved over, I felt sorry I had claimed my seat and offered to let him have it. He explained that he was from Holland and had seen the aerial views many times before. So we became friends. Fortunately for me, as we flew into the sunrise over Amsterdam, he gave a super presentation tour of what we were observing (far better than what everyone else got on the video screens). Thanks to him, that was the best segment of my journey to Ukraine. The Schipol airport in Amsterdam was bright and lovely. I actually enjoyed my wait there!

On To Kiev

It started to snow just before leaving for Kiev. The plane had to be de-iced. It was very crowded. Small children wailed (sounding overtired) as we took off. It was sort of like being in a "film noir" movie. The Borispol airport is very sterile-like. As you move from customs to luggage to security it is almost like moving through "windows" on a computer screen. Finally, you are out and voila...the translator and facilitator and driver were all there waiting for me like a "safety net". It was damp and chilly in Kiev but not as cold as in New York. Apartment in Kiev I felt at ease at once as my Ukrainian Angels adoption team here were so friendly and supportive. By the time we arrived to the apartment, I felt I had known them forever. My facilitator, Galina had set me up in her friend's apartment. It was really comfortable, and nicely decorated with all amenities. When I was finally alone there, I enjoyed watching out the window at the activities of the people- children playing in the playground, old grandmothers (babushkas) gathered together feeding pidgeons, tall and slender young women in high fashion with stiletto heels walking by, and men in military looking uniforms scurrying up the street. It was hard to believe I was actually in Eastern Europe. I felt secure and comfortable and thought I could easily live here. The people are so friendly and considerate.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Hi Rose!
Glad to finally hear from you!
Can't wait to hear more details!

Take care!

Amy

Unknown said...

Hi Rozachka,
It is really great to hear from you!
Still.....be careful out there...:-)
Yes, please more details!
It smells with Spring here a lot!

Anna Izmodenoff